Recipe: Lettuce wraps with spicy pork or chicken filling
Spiced chicken or pork makes a delicious filling
for lettuce wraps. (Photos: Debbie Arrington)
|Meat and veggies cook quickly in a wok.|
Homegrown Red Sails lettuce makes a colorful and delicious
Comments0 comments have been posted.
Sacramento Digs Gardening to your inbox.
Dig In: Garden checklist for week of Oct. 2
Plan to make the most of the mild weather in your garden.
* October is the best month to plant trees and shrubs.
* October also is the best time to plant perennials in our area. Add a little well-aged compost and bone meal to planting holes or beds, but hold off on other fertilizers until spring. Keep the transplants well-watered (but not wet) for the first month as they become settled.
* Now is the time to plant seeds for many flowers directly into the garden, including cornflower, nasturtium, nigella, poppy, portulaca, sweet pea and stock.
* Plant seeds for radishes, bok choy, mustard, spinach and peas.
* Plant garlic and onions.
* Set out cool-weather bedding plants, including calendula, pansy, snapdragon, primrose and viola.
* Reseed and feed the lawn. Work on bare spots.
* Dig up corms and tubers of gladioluses, dahlias and tuberous begonias after the foliage dies. Clean and store in a cool, dry place.
* Treat azaleas, gardenias and camellias with chelated iron if leaves are yellowing between the veins.
Sites We Like
Send us a gardening question, a post suggestion or information about an upcoming event. email@example.com