Sacred Heart hosts holiday boutique and cafe in East Sacramento
The Holiday Boutique and Cafe runs through Sunday
at Sacred Heart Parish School in East Sacramento.
(Photo courted Sacred Heart Holiday Home Tour)
Comments0 comments have been posted.
Sacramento Digs Gardening to your inbox.
Dig In: Garden checklist for week of Oct. 2
Plan to make the most of the mild weather in your garden.
* October is the best month to plant trees and shrubs.
* October also is the best time to plant perennials in our area. Add a little well-aged compost and bone meal to planting holes or beds, but hold off on other fertilizers until spring. Keep the transplants well-watered (but not wet) for the first month as they become settled.
* Now is the time to plant seeds for many flowers directly into the garden, including cornflower, nasturtium, nigella, poppy, portulaca, sweet pea and stock.
* Plant seeds for radishes, bok choy, mustard, spinach and peas.
* Plant garlic and onions.
* Set out cool-weather bedding plants, including calendula, pansy, snapdragon, primrose and viola.
* Reseed and feed the lawn. Work on bare spots.
* Dig up corms and tubers of gladioluses, dahlias and tuberous begonias after the foliage dies. Clean and store in a cool, dry place.
* Treat azaleas, gardenias and camellias with chelated iron if leaves are yellowing between the veins.
Sites We Like
Send us a gardening question, a post suggestion or information about an upcoming event. email@example.com